Passenger Ship Website - www.simplonpc.co.uk - Simplon Postcards Home - Recent Updates - Search - Copyright Information - Contact Simplon
This website has no connection with any shipping company, cruise line, boat operator or other commercial organisation
 
 
Hampshire Piers
 
This page is under construction
 
This page is devoted to postcards and photographs of the piers of Hampshire. In addition to pleasure piers, piers and jetties used by ferries or excursion ships are also included.
 
 
Piers on this Page:-
Hayling Isle Ferry Pontoon
Eastney Ferry Pontoon (Portsmouth)
Southsea South Parage Pier
Southsea Clarence Pier
Portsmouth Harbour Station Pier
Gosport Ferry Pier
Stokes Bay Pier
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Warsash Jetty
Netley Royal Victoria Hospital Pier
Southampton Royal Pier
Hythe Pier
 
Other Hampshire Pages:-
Gosport Ferries
Hayling Isle Ferry
Hythe Ferries
Hythe Pier
Portsmouth Harbour
Southampton Piers, Docks & Ferries
Southern Railway - Page 3 - Southampton Services
 
Associated Pages:-
UK Excursion Ships, Ports & Piers
Ferry Postcards
Cruise Ship Postcards
Ocean Liner Postcards
Simplon Postcards - Recent Updates
Simplon Postcards - Home Page
 
Other UK Pier Pages:-
East Coast Piers - Norfolk Piers - Suffolk Piers - Essex Piers - Kent Piers - Sussex Piers - Hampshire Piers - Isle of Wight Piers - Dorset Piers - South West Piers - Welsh Piers - North West Piers
 
References:-
Guide to British Piers (2nd Edition) - by Timothy Mickleburgh - Piers Information Bureau, 1988
www.theheritagetrail.co.uk
 
Search This Website:-

powered by
FreeFind  
 
 
 
 
 
 
Hampshire Piers
 
 
 
Hayling Isle Ferry Pontoon
 
The Hayling ferry runs from Ferry Point near the Ferry Boat Inn on Hayling Island to Eastney Beach, Portsmouth, across the mouth of Langstone Harbour.
 
The rights to run a ferry belonged to the Lord of the Manor of Hayling Island, the Dukes of Norfolk, to whom the land had passed on the dissolution of the monasteries. Rowing boats were used until 1901 when the the ferry rights were bought by the Hayling Island Steam Ferry Company, who constructed pontoons, made up the road on the Hayling side, and acquired a small steamer. The service was soon abandoned due to the unsuitability of the steamer. The pontoons survived, and eventually a motor boat service was operated by G.O.Spraggs and his sons Cecil, George and Jack. Postwar boats were the Sinah, Folkestone Belle and Tarpon.
 
In 1961 Portsmouth City Council took the ferry over. I am not sure what boat they used initially, but by the late 1970s they ran the Iris of 1968, which carried 55 passengers. She was joined by the Irene of 1976. Portsmouth City Council operated the ferry until April 1981, when it closed, no other operator having been found. The pontoons were in poor condition by this time, and the Eastney pontoon was demolished. However Hampshire County Council soon found a company who would take over the service, with subsidy for unprofitable periods. Dutfield and Edwards started the new service, initially used the Hayling Enterprise and running onto the beach at Portsmouth until a new pontoon was built (the Hayling pontoon has also been replaced). The current boat is the Pride of Hayling. The service runs 360 days a year, with a break over Christmas/New Year, and carries large numbers of commuters and school children, plus tourists in summer. Edwards & Co continue to operate the ferry in 2006. Their contact number is:- 023 924 82868
 
More images of the Hayling Isle Ferry
 
 
Unidentified Hayling ferry at the Hayling pontoon
Scan: Bill Seager
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Valentine postcard of the Hayling ferry
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of the Hayling ferry Sinah
Michael Sutcliffe writes:- I lived in Hayling Island in the late 1940's and early 50's and travelled on this ferry, with my bicycle, many times. My father was in the Marines at Eastney. I think the vessel in the photo is the 'Sinah', and I well-remember the two stacks of life belts on the stern. Bicycles, and any other 'cargo' , were placed on a raised deck aft of the funnel - where the railing is in the photograph. Other ferries were brought into service on bank holidays etc. and when 'Sinah' was being serviced. The name Spraggs rings a bell - their vessels had grey hulls and red boot-topping.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Salmon postcard of the Hayling ferry, Sinah on the inside berth.
The ferry leaving appears to be the Iris of 1968 or Irene of 1976, the last ferries used by Portsmouth City Council
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Ferry pontoon at Hayling Island
Photo: © Ian Boyle, 17th July 2006
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Ferry pontoon at Hayling Island
Photo: © Ian Boyle, 17th July 2006
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Eastney Ferry Pontoon (Portsmouth)
 
For details see under Hayling Isle Ferry Pontoon
 
More images of the Hayling Isle Ferry
 
 
Pride of Hayling at Eastney
Photo: © Ian Boyle, 17th July 2006
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Pride of Hayling approaching Eastney
Photo: © Ian Boyle, 17th July 2006
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
Southsea South Parage Pier
 
Postcard of South Parade Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of South Parade Pier
 
 
Postcard of South Parade Pier
 
 
Postcard of South Parade Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of South Parade Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Aerial view of South Parade Pier
 
 
Postcard of South Parade Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of South Parade Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
Southsea Clarence Pier
 
Postcard of Clarence Pier
 
 
Postcard of Clarence Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of Clarence Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of Clarence Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of Clarence Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of Clarence Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of Clarence Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
Portsmouth Harbour Station Pier
 
Kingsway (WH Smith) postcard of Portsmouth Harbour Station Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
Gosport Pier
 
To be added
 
 
 
 
Stokes Bay Pier
 
To be added
 
 
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
 
The resort of Lee-on-the-Solent was largely the vision of one man, Charles Edmund Newton Robinson, who persuaded his father (Sir John Charles Robinson, director of the Victoria & Albert Museum) to buy up largely unused land for development. The Marine Parade was constructed first in 1884, followed by the construction (1885-1888) of a 750ft long pier, with regular steamer service to Southsea. The (still standing) terrace of shops and balconied apartments on the east side of Pier Street was part of that development.
 
The railway arrived n 1894, and the station building survives, now used as an amusement arcade. Rail service was discontinued in the 1930. 1935 saw the construction of the Lee Tower complex, a local and regional landmark with a cinema, ballroom, restaurant, lounge, and saloon bar - all topped by a striking white tower and clock, with a 120 ft high observation deck. Nikolas Pevsner described this as 'a good piece of second-rate inter-war modernism of the slightly jazzy sort, constructed of concrete when concrete seemed very up-to-date'. The tower complex was comandeered by the military during WW2. An attempt to revive its sagging fortunes was made in 1964, when the interior was reconfigured. In 1971, the decision was made to demolish the complex. The pier, too, had a long period of decline. In 1932 a fire destroyed the popular pavilion at the far end of the pier, which was never rebuilt. In 1939 it was breached by the military, as were most southern piers. The damage was never repaired and the remaining pier structure was demolished in 1958.

 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Alternative copy of the card above
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Variation on cards above
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Lee-on-Solent Pier
 
 
 
 
 
Warsash Jetty
 
To be added
 
 
 
 
Netley Royal Victoria Hospital Pier
 
Netley Pier was originally built in 1856. It was rebuilt in 1865 for patients travelling to the huge military hospital opened that year and had a length of 570 feet. A railway spur served the hospital from 1901, reducing the use of the pier. However, it was used for patients to convalecse on until it became unsafe. It was demolished in 1955.
 
The hospital was built after the Crimean War showed the necessity for having a large military hospital, and it opened in 1863. It was 435 metres long and had around 1000 beds. It was Britain's largest military hospital, and received extensive use during the Boer War and the two World Wars. the main building was closed in 1958, and demolished in 1966 after a major fire in 1963. Only the chapel still remains. A smaller block behind remained in use until 1978. the site is now a park.
 
More images of Southampton Piers, Docks & Ferries
 
 
Netley Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Netley Pier
 
 
Netley Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Netley Pier
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
Southampton Royal Pier
 
The Royal Pier was opened in 1833 (the first jetty or pier in Southampton). It was used by steamers to the Channel Islands, Le Havre and the Isle of Wight. The continental steamers moved to the Outer Dock once the railway arrived. The London & South Western Railway arrived in 1840, linking London to Southampton Terminus Station (although not officially named as such until 1923), less than a mile from the Royal Pier. A wagon tramway was opened to the Pier in 1847, initially horse-drawn. The tramway connected to the the railway via a wagon-turntable, so passenger carriages could not access it. This was changed from 1871, when a new direct connection was laid. Carriages were still pulled by horse until 1876, when increasing traffic required their replacement by small steam locomotives. A small station with single platform was built at the pier head for passenger trains. Between 5 and seven trains a day linked the Terminus with the Royal Pier.
 
In 1864 a pontoon was added, and the pier head was enlarged in 1871. Major reconstruction of the pier was carried out in 1892, including a second station platform and shelters. A pavilion was added soon afterwards. A new pier entrance, with ornate dome, was built in 1930. The tracks were damaged in the First War, and passenger services did not resume after the war. Vehicles were side-loaded onto ferries until 1950, when a ramp for the converted landing craft Norris Castle (2) was opened. The pavilion was extended in 1963. However, in 1979 the pier was becoming unsafe and was not economic to maintain - it was closed in 1982. The Victorian entrance was restored, and re-opened as a pub/restaurant in 1986. Part of the closed pier was severely damaged by fire in 1987. In 2006, the pier entrance is still in good order, but no longer in use.
 
More images of Southampton Piers, Docks & Ferries
 
 
F.G.O.Stuart postcard of the Royal Pier.
Note the railway line and station, plus various early Southampton Company paddle steamers
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of the Royal Pier.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
A well-known photograph of the Southampton at the Royal Pier, Southampton.
Issued here as a Pamlin Prints postcard.
 
 
A variation on the photograph above of the Royal Pier, clearly showing the station.
 
 
Postcard of the Royal Pier.
Note additional pier buildings compared to the photo above.
 
 
Postcard of Balmoral (1) at the Royal Pier.
 
Postcard CM.5007 of the Royal Pier.
Queen Elizabeth proceeding to New Docks, Vecta at royal Pier
 
Kingsway postcard S19627 of the 1930 Royal Pier entrance.
Railway line and station removed, plus various Southampton Company with black-topped funnels
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Excel postcard of the later Royal Pier entrance.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Salmon postcard of the Royal Pier entrance in the 1960s.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
The Royal Pier entrance in 2006.
The building remains in good order, but is not obviously in use
Photo: © Ian Boyle, Southampton, 23rd April 2006
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Southampton Royal Pier
Photo: © Ian Boyle, 4th August 2006
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Red Funnel postcard of Norris Castle (2) at Southampton, with
She is unloading a fine collection of 1940s/50s cars from the side. A ramp was installed in 1950.
Town Quay in the background
 
 
The remains of the Royal Pier in 2006
Photo: © Ian Boyle, 4th August 2006
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
The remains of the Royal Pier in 2006
Photo: © Ian Boyle, 4th August 2006
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
Hythe Pier
 
Initial plans for a 2000 foot pier at Hythe were lodged in 1870, but Parliamentary permission was not granted until 1878. The company had the lengthy title of Hythe Pier and Hythe and Southampton Ferry Company Ltd, not becoming the Hythe Pier Company until 1923. Construction began in 1879, and the pier was opened in 1881. The original Act made provision for the construction of a tramway along the pier, although one was not originally laid. Tracks were laid later, and were certianly in use by 1914. Hand propelled vehicles were used at this time. The rails at this stage were sunk to be level with the decking.
 
The 2ft gauge electric railway opened in 1922, electrified at 200 volts DC using a third rail. Three Brush 4-wheeled locomotives were acquired which had previously been used at the Avonmouth Mustard Gas Factory. One was dismantled for spares but the other two remain in service. Four vehicles of two types were acquired. There were two bogie trailers, each with three 6-passenger compartments, plus two bogie control trailers, each with two compartments, seating six and eight passengers. The passenger trailers were built by the Drewry Car Company, and originally had green lower panels and varnished above. There were also two 4-wheeled luggage wagons and a 4-wheeled tank wagon for carrying fuel for the ferries. All photos that I have seen show trains made up of three trailers, often including both control trailers (these are lower than the bogie trailers so easily identified). The train livery later became blue and white, and then red and white in White Horse Ferries ownership, before reverting to green livery in 2004.
 
More Images of Hythe Pier
 
 
Postcard of the pier, before railway tracks added.
 
 
F.G.O.Stuart postcard 69937 of the pier, with no tracks visible.
Early steamer on the slip at the end of the quay.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of the pier, before railway tracks added.
A hand cart is being pulled along the pier
 
 
Postcard of the pier entrance.
 
 
Pre-WW1 postcard showing the pier trolley.
 
 
Postcard of the pier, with pier train - 1920/30s from the ship.
 
 
Dearden & Wade postcard of the pier tramway.
Two control trailers form part of the train.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Harvey Barton postcard E11E of the pier tramway.
 
 
District View Publishing Company postcard BT4115 of the pier tramway.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Harvey Barton postcard E11A of the pier tramway.
Two control trailers form part of the train. Photo: R.W.Board
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
UK Excursion Ships & Piers - Ferry Postcards - Cruise Ship Postcards - Ocean Liner Postcards
Top of Page - Simplon Postcards - Recent Updates - Simplon Postcards - Home Page
 
 
   
 
Harold Jordan - New and Old Shipping Postcards for Sale - www.hjcards.co.ukCarmania Press - Quality Passenger Shipping Books -  www.carmaniapress.co.ukMike Louagie - Fantastic Maritime Photographer - www.louagie.beFerry Publications - www.ferrypubs.co.uk - Leading European Publisher of Ferry BooksShippax - Ship Information, Databases, Publications, Magazines - www.shippax.seOld and New Postcards for Sale - www.raeth.chOcean Liner Society - www.ocean-liner-society.comOverview Press - www.overviewpress.co.uk - Specialist Passenger Shipping BooksNautiques - Your gateway to the rich past of ocean liner nautical antiques - www.nautiques.netMarius Bar - Historic and new photos from long established French photographers - www.mariusbar-photo.comRisawoleska - 1:1250 Ship Models - www.risawoleska.comMaritime Photographic - Superb Shipping Photography - www.maritimephotographic.co.ukThe Liquid Highway - River Thames Website - www.riverthames.co.nrShips Monthly - Shipping Magazine - www.shipsmonthly.com
 
Simplon Postcards Website - www.simplonpc,co.uk
 
©1999-2007 Copyright Ian Boyle/Simplon Postcards (all pages on web site)
All Rights Reserved
 
Free Web Counter
Times viewed since 27/01/2008: