website has no connection with any shipping company, cruise line,
boat operator or other commercial organisation
Savill Header Page
This is the header to
a series of pages devoted to postcards and photographs of Shaw
Savill Line. The
table shows complete
of selected ships.
Below the table is a fleetlist in chronological order. Additional
ships will be added to this page.
Shaw, Savill & Albion
Line (later shortened to Shaw Savill Line in publicity) was comprised
of three constituent companies:-
1: Shaw, Savill &
Co, London formed in 1858
2: Albion Line, Glasgow
3: John Leslie & Partners,
The combined Shaw, Savill
& Albion Line was created in 1882, but Shaw, Savill &
Co retained five sailing ships, and John Leslie & Partners
ran their ships with this fleet. Shaw, Savill & Albion Line
also ran a joint service to New Zealand with White Star Line
from 1884 to 1933, when the collapse of the White Star Line enabled
the service to be taken over completely by Shaw Savill. Shaw
Savill continued to use White Star-style names with the suffix
"-ic". In 1928, the Commonwealth Line taken over and
renamed Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line, followed by the takeover
of the Aberdeen Line in 1933. Also in 1933, control of Shaw Savill
was acquired by Furness, Withy & Co.
The famous Southern
Cross was built
by Harland & Wolff in 1955, for a new round-the-world passenger
service. She took no commercial freight, carried 1100 one-class
passengers, and was one of the pioneers of the engines aft layout.
The continuous circuit took 76 days to complete from Southampton,
calling at Trinidad, Curacao, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Fiji,
Wellington, Auckland, Sydney, Melbourne, Fremantle, Durban, Capetown,
Las Palmas and back to Southampton. From 1968, cruises were run
between circumnavigations. Escalating costs and competition from
the air caused her withdrawal in 1971. In 1985 Shaw Savill became
an integral part of Furness Withy Shipping.