Princess Maud - Venus
The Princess Maud was built in 1934 by Wm. Denny of Dumbarton for the LMS (London, Midland & Scottish Railway) route from Stranraer to Larne. She was 330ft long, 2917 gross tons, and carried 1458 passengers. Her speed was 21 knots. She was the first British-built ship to have an automatic sprinkler and fire alarm system. She served as a troop ship throughout the war, being attached to the US Task Force for the D-Day landings.
Princess Maud was reconditioned after the war, being moved to Holyhead. An additional flying bridge was added on the port side only to assist docking. She acted as a spare and relief vessel, running Holyhead-Dun Laoghaire extra sailings in summer, then relief on other Irish Sea routes whilst the regular vessels received overhaul. In 1951 she served on the Southampton-St Malo route. Princess Maud was sold to Greek interests in 1965, and renamed Venus.
British Railways Pages:-
British Railway Steamers - BR/Sealink Header Page
British Railways/Sealink - Page 1 - Stranraer Services
British Railways/Sealink - Page 2 - Heysham Services
British Railways/Sealink - Page 3 - Holyhead Services
British Railways/Sealink - Page 4 - Fishguard Services
Associated Pages:-
Ferry Postcards
Cruise Ship Postcards
Ocean Liner Postcards
Simplon Postcards - Recent Updates
Simplon Postcards - Home Page
Princess Maud (1934-65)
LMS card of Princess Maud
Click to open larger image in new window
Valentine's card A4, printed 1936, of Princess Maud
Click to open larger image in new window
Sepia photographic postcard of Princess Maud leaving Larne.
Card serial 40205, publisher unknown, showing Princess Maud in Holyhead, behind the Hibernia. The additional port side flying bridge is visible.
A.Duncan photograph as Venus
British Railway Steamers - Ferry Postcards
Top of Page - Simplon Postcards - Recent Updates - Simplon Postcards - Home Page
Please credit to if you take images from this website!
©1999-2006 Copyright Ian Boyle/Simplon Postcards (all pages on web site)
All Rights Reserved