Simplon - The Passenger Ship Website - www.simplonpc.co.uk

Simplon Home - www.simplonpc.co.uk - Simplon facebook
- Recent Updates - Search Simplon - Copyright Information - Contact Simplon
This website has no connection with any shipping company, cruise line, boat operator or other commercial organisation - There are no postcards for sale on this website





Coronia
 
Coronia (1) - Bournemouth Queen - Queen of Scots - Rochester Queen (4)
 
 
This page is devoted to postcards and photographs of the Scarborough diesel excursion ship Coronia (1) which later served at Bournemouth and the Clyde, and is still in use in stationary mode on the River Medway.
 
In 1935, a formidable competitor to Royal Lady arrived in the form of the Coronia (1), built by Warren's New Holland Shipyard on the Humber Estuary. Although of similar layout to the 1934 Royal Lady, she only had one funnel, which was positioned too far aft for symmetry. Coronia (1) was owned by Jack Ellis, and her original livery was a yacht-like white, later with a pale yellow funnel. She had a gross tonnage of 227 and an overall length of 130 ft, and carried 475 passengers on a Class 3 Certificate. Her engines were supplied by the National Gas & Oil Company of Ashton-under-Lyne, a company not normally associated with marine installations. She was capable of 13.5 knots, a lot faster than her initial competitor Royal Lady. In 1937, Coronia (1) reappeared with two funnels like her competitor. These were initially pale (yellow?) in colour, but later became red with a black top. In 1938 she had a more equal competitor in the New Royal Lady, which matched her is size and speed. However, in pre-war years there was more than enough custom for two such fine vessels.
 
During the war Coronia (1) served as HMS Coronia, in the Humber, Scotland and on the South Coast, latterly as part of Force Pluto which laid and maintained the cross-channel oil pipelines. She was refitted in 1945, returning to Scarborough in July of that year. The dummy funnel had been removed during the war. Coronia's colours were now modelled on the Union-Castle Line, with a lavender hull and retaining the red and black funnel (although I do not have a card in this condition). The funnel later became a paler colour (yellow?). Her first post-war competition did not arrive until 1951, when the Yorkshire Lady arrived. The same year saw the death of Jack Ellis, and the sale of Coronia (1) to Jack Johnson, who owned her with his son Martin until 1966. She was given an attractive new colour scheme with a pale blue funnel and black top, separated by a broad white band. The hull was white with red boot topping. Further competition arrived in 1952, in the form of the Regency Belle, which had run at Brighton in 1951, and moved to Torquay for the 1955 season. In 1954 the Regal Lady had joined the others at Scarborough, which had four excursion ships for this season only.
 
Coronia was placed on the sales list in 1966, and was sold to Croson Ltd of Bournemouth. She left Scarborough in May 1968, becoming the Bournemouth Queen. She operated cruises from Poole via Bournemouth to the Isle of Wight and occasionally Southampton. Bournemouth Queen was sold again in 1973 to Sir Robert McAlpine, for use as the ferry Queen of Scots between Rothesay and the oil rig construction site at Ardyne Point, work which continued until June 1977. On 15th July 1977, the paddle steamer Waverley ran aground off Dunoon, and was withdrawn for repairs. Queen of Scots was chartered to maintain services for the season. The following years Queen of Scots continued Clyde cruising under the ownership of B&B Cruising, but this company was forced into bankruptcy in 1980.
 
In 1982, the London restaurateur David Law purchased the laid up Queen of Scots and moved under tow to Gravesend where she was refitted as the Rochester Queen (4). Her engines were removed at this time, and are now in the Science Museum in London. The restaurant failed in 1993, and Rochester Queen (4) was sold the following year and moved to the Medway Yacht Club as a floating club house.
 
 
Ships Names on This Page:-
Coronia (1) (1935-1968)
Bournemouth Queen (1968-1974)
Queen of Scots (1977-1982)
Rochester Queen (4) (1982- )
 
Associated Pages:-
Scarborough Excursion Vessels - Page 1
Scarborough Excursion Vessels - Page 2
UK Excursion Ships
Ferry Postcards
Cruise Ship Postcards
Ocean Liner Postcards
Simplon Postcards - Recent Updates
Simplon Postcards - Home Page
 
References:-
Pleasure Steamers of Old Yorkshire - by Arthur Godfrey - c.1975
British Pleasure Steamers 1920-1939 - by Geoffrey Grimshaw - Richard Tilling 1945
MV Coronia 1935-1995 - by Tom Machin - Carrick Publications, Scarborough 1995
60 Years A Lady 1930-1990 - by Tom Machin - Carrick Publications, Scarborough 1990
 
Search This Website:-

powered by FreeFind  






Coronia (1)
(1935-46)
 
In 1935, a formidable competitor to Royal Lady arrived at Scarborough in the form of the Coronia (1), built by Warren's New Holland Shipyard on the Humber Estuary. Although of similar layout to the 1934 Royal Lady, she only had one funnel, which was positioned too far aft for symmetry. Coronia (1) was owned by Jack Ellis, and her original livery was a yacht-like white, later with a pale yellow funnel. She had a gross tonnage of 227 and an overall length of 130 ft, and carried 475 passengers on a Class 3 Certificate. Her engines were supplied by the National Gas & Oil Company of Ashton-under-Lyme, a company not normally associated with marine installations. She was capable of 13.5 knots, a lot faster than her initial competitor Royal Lady. In 1937, Coronia (1) reappeared with two funnels like her competitor. These were initially pale (yellow?) in colour, but later became red with a black top. In 1938 she had a more equal competitor in the New Royal Lady, which matched her is size and speed. However, in pre-war years there was more than enough custom for two such fine vessels.
 
During the war Coronia (1) served as HMS Coronia, in the Humber, Scotland and on the South Coast, latterly as part of Force Pluto which laid and maintained the cross-channel oil pipelines. She was refitted in 1945, returning to Scarborough in July of that year. The dummy funnel had been removed during the war. Coronia's colours were now modelled on the Union-Castle Line, with a lavender hull and retaining the red and black funnel (although I do not have a card in this condition). The funnel later became a paler colour (yellow?). Her first post-war competition did not arrive until 1951, when the Yorkshire Lady arrived. The same year saw the death of Jack Ellis, and the sale of Coronia (1) to Jack Johnson, who owned her with his son Martin until 1966. She was given an attractive new colour scheme with a pale blue funnel and black top, separated by a broad white band. The hull was white with red boot topping. Further competition arrived in 1952, in the form of the Regency Belle, which had run at Brighton in 1951, and moved to Torquay for the 1955 season. In 1954 the Regal Lady had joined the others at Scarborough, which had four excursion ships for this season only.
 
Coronia was placed on the sales list in 1966, and was sold to Croson Ltd of Bournemouth. She left Scarborough in May 1968, becoming the Bournemouth Queen.
 
 
Postcard of Coronia (1) as delivered with one funnel and white hull.
 
 
Postcard of Coronia (1) as rebuilt with two funnels in 1937.
The forward funnel was a dummy.
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Gray postcard of Coronia (1) as rebuilt with two funnels in red and black.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Postcard of Coronia (1) as rebuilt with two funnels in red and black.
Photo: Scarborough Corporation.
 
 
Post war card of Coronia (1) with one funnel again after the war.
The hull is lavender-coloured (like Union-Castle).
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Post war card of Coronia (1) with one funnel again after the war.
The hull is lavender-coloured.
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Post war card of Coronia (1) with one funnel again after the war.
The hull is lavender-coloured.
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Postcard of Coronia (1) in final Johnston colours.
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Postcard of Coronia (1) in final Johnston colours.
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Postcard of Coronia (1) in final Johnston colours.
Regal Lady and Yorkshire Lady berthed ahead of Coronia
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Postcard of Coronia (1) in final Scarborough colours.
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Postcard of Coronia (1) in final Scarborough colours, with Regal Lady.
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Postcard of Regal Lady, Yorkshire Lady and Coronia (1).
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
Photograph of Yorkshire Lady, Regal Lady and Coronia (1).
Photo: © Terry Boyle, c.1962
Click to open larger image in new widow
 
 
 
 
 
Bournemouth Queen
(Croson: 1968-1974)
 
Coronia was placed on the sales list in 1966, and was sold to Croson Ltd of Bournemouth. She left Scarborough in May 1968, becoming the Bournemouth Queen. She operated cruises from Poole via Bournemouth to the Isle of Wight and occasionally Southampton. Bournemouth Queen was sold again in 1973 to Sir Robert McAlpine, for use as the ferry Queen of Scots between Rothesay and the oil rig construction site at Ardyne Point, work which continued until June 1977. On 15th July 1977, the paddle steamer Waverley ran aground off Dunoon, and was withdrawn for repairs. Queen of Scots was chartered to maintain services for the season. The following years she continued Clyde cruising under the ownership of B&B Cruising, but this company was forced into bankruptcy in 1980.
 
 
Photographic postcard of Bournemouth Queen at Bournemouth Pier.
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Bournemouth Queen at Yarmouth Pier
Photo: Terry Creswell - Scan: Chris Wood
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Bournemouth Queen at Swanage Pier
Photo: Chris Phillips - Scan: Chris Wood
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Bournemouth Queen at Totland Pier
Photo: Terry Creswell - Scan: Chris Wood
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Bournemouth Queen at Swanage Pier
Photo: Chris Phillips - Scan: Chris Wood
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Bournemouth Queen
Photo: Chris Phillips - Scan: Chris Wood
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Bournemouth Queen at Swanage
Photo: Chris Phillips - Scan: Chris Wood
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
Bournemouth Queen
Photo: Chris Phillips - Scan: Chris Wood
Click to open larger image in new window
 
 
 
 
 
Queen of Scots
(1974-1982)
 
Bournemouth Queen was sold again in 1973 to Sir Robert McAlpine, for use as the ferry Queen of Scots between Rothesay and the oil rig construction site at Ardyne Point, work which continued until June 1977. On 15th July 1977, the paddle steamer Waverley ran aground off Dunoon, and was withdrawn for repairs. Queen of Scots was chartered to maintain services for the season. The following years she continued Clyde cruising under the ownership of B&B Cruising, but this company was forced into bankruptcy in 1980.
 
 
Photographic postcard of Queen of Scots.
 
 
 
 
 
Rochester Queen (3)
(1982- )

Each Rochester Queen image links to a larger copy


In 1982, the London restaurateur David Law purchased the laid up Queen of Scots and moved under tow to Gravesend where she was refitted as the Rochester Queen (4). Her engines were removed at this time, and are now in the Science Museum in London. Rochester Queen (4) was berthed as a restaurant at Rochester on the River Medway. The restaurant failed in 1993, and Rochester Queen (4) was sold the following year and moved upstream a few miles to the Medway Yacht Club as a floating club house.



Rochester Queen (3) berthed at Rochester Pier as a restaurant
Photo: Ian Boyle, 1987
ROCHESTER QUEEN - www.simplonpc.co.uk



Rochester Queen (3) berthed at Rochester Pier as a restaurant
Photo: Ian Boyle, 1987
ROCHESTER QUEEN - www.simplonpc.co.uk



Rochester Queen at Rochester
Photo: Chris Phillips



Rochester Queen (3) berthed at the Medway Yacht Club
Photo: Ian Boyle, 26th March 2005
ROCHESTER QUEEN - www.simplonpc.co.uk



Rochester Queen (3) berthed at the Medway Yacht Club
Photo: Ian Boyle, 26th March 2005
ROCHESTER QUEEN - www.simplonpc.co.uk



Rochester Queen (3) berthed at the Medway Yacht Club
Photo: Ian Boyle, 26th March 2005
ROCHESTER QUEEN - www.simplonpc.co.uk



Rochester Queen (3) berthed at the Medway Yacht Club
Photo: Ian Boyle, 26th March 2005
ROCHESTER QUEEN - www.simplonpc.co.uk



Rochester Queen (3) berthed at the Medway Yacht Club
Photo: Ian Boyle, 26th March 2005
ROCHESTER QUEEN - www.simplonpc.co.uk



Rochester Queen (3) berthed at the Medway Yacht Club
Photo: Ian Boyle, 26th March 2005
ROCHESTER QUEEN - www.simplonpc.co.uk









UK Excursion Ships - Ferry Postcards - Cruise Ship Postcards - Ocean Liner Postcards
Top of Page - Simplon Postcards - Recent Updates - Simplon Postcards - Home Page





 






Free Web Counter
Times viewed since 30/06/2008::