This is Page 5 in a series
of postcard galleries that cover the CGT fleet (Compagnie G�n�rale
Transatlantique - know as la Transat in France), and marketed
as the French Line in the UK and USA. This page is devoted to
ships on CGT Trans-Atlantic services, acquired between 1914 and
Figuig was built as the Grantala for
the Adelaide SS Co in 1903. In 1915 she was purchased by CGT's
British subsidiary, and was transferred to CGT in 1920. Figuig
was scrapped in 1934.
of Figuig at Bordeaux.
Jacques Cartier (1) (1918-1929 - 8,379gt)
Jacques Cartier (1) was built for CGT in 1918. In
1929 she was renamed Winnepeg. In 1941, Winnepeg
was captured by the Allies and entered service with the MOTW,
but was torpedoed and sunk the following year in the Atlantic.
Leopoldina (1919-1923 - 11948gt)
Leopoldina was built as the Bluecher
of Hamburg America Line in 1902. She was passed to CGT as war
reparation in 1919, and renamed Leopoldina. She was renamed
Suffren in 1923, and scrapped in 1929.
of Leopoldina at St Nazaire.
Macoris was built in 1902 as the Bergermeister
of Deutsche Ost-Afrika Line. She was ceded to France in 1919
as a war reparation, and entered service with CGT in 1920 as
the Macoris. She was scrapped in 1935.
of the Macoris in CGT service.
Paris was destroyed by fire at le Havre
in 1939 - the remains were scrapped in 1947.
Cuba entered service in May 1923 on
the St Nazaire-West Indies-Vera Cruz route. She was intercepted
by a British warship in 1940, and used as a transport under Cunard
management. She was torpedoed and sunk by a U-boat in 1945.
official postcard of Cuba.
De Grasse (I)
1947-53 - 17,759gt)
De Grasse was laid down as Suffren
but renamed during a lengthy 4-year building period at Cammell,
Laird & Co, Birkenhead. she operated on the CGT le Havre-New
York service until 1940, when seized by the Germans. She was
sunk by gunfire at Bordeaux on August 30th, 1944. De Grasse
was raised and refitted, re-entering service with CGT on her
old route in 1945. She was transferred to the Caribbean service
in 1952, and sold to Canadian Pacific as their Empress of
Australia in 1953. The Empress of Australia was bought
by Grimaldi-SIOSA in 1956. Following rebuilding for their Italy-West
Indies-Venezuela service, her passenger capacity increased from
664 to nearly 1500. Venezuela was lost in 1962, off Cannes.